The following award guidelines have been created to ensure that all funded travel adheres to the policies and procedures set forth by the Office of Research and Graduate Studies. Student Travel funds are awarded as a reimbursement after travel is completed, with the exception of airfare that may be purchased through our office.
The Student Travel Award supports both graduate and undergraduate students that have been accepted to present at a professional event. Presenting includes the reporting of research results, exhibiting or performing creative works, or otherwise disseminating results of their scholarly activity. Please note: due to the high demand for student travel funds, we are unable to support students who are attending but not presenting at professional conferences or meetings.
The amount awarded is up to $800 toward expenses incurred during the approved travel. The award amount will depend on the number of applications received, the available budget, the number of times the student has applied for funding, the location of the conference, and on the priority given to the application by the selection committee. Students are strongly encouraged to have some vested interest in attending by paying for some of their travel. Any unused funds will be returned to the STA to provide funding opportunities for other students.
Awarded funds must be used within the fiscal year (June 1-May 31) in which it was awarded. Students that maintain a current enrollment status from Spring to Fall may apply funds for travel during the Summer semester/session.
To be eligible, at the time of travel an applicant must be:
- First-time awardees. One award per student per fiscal year (June 1 - May 31st).
- Enrolled in the semester or session during which the travel takes place (doctoral students on “continuous enrollment” status for dissertation writing may meet this requirement with at least one hour of enrollment)
- Regularly admitted to a degree program on the Broadway campus
- In good academic standing
Expectation of Student
If awarded, you are expected to adhere to the following:
- UIW Student Code of Conduct
- Received all research compliance approvals through our office, as applicable (IRB for human subjects research and IACUC for animal research)
Below are items/categories that can be covered by the award, however, this does not mean that all of them will be paid for.
San Antonio (in-town) conferences
- Conference Registration Fee (excludes membership fees)
- Parking fee
Out-of-town or out-of-state conferences
- Airfare and/or Mileage
- Conference registration fee (excludes membership/organization fees, field trips, etc.)
- Hotel accommodations
- Transportation costs from the airport to the hotel and vice versa, if no courtesy shuttle is available
Below are the items/categories not covered by the award.
- Alcohol expenses
- Entertainment expenses
- Extra nights at a hotel beyond the conference dates
- Extraneous transportation costs such as taxis, and any other service, used to get around town (transportation from the airport to hotel and vise versa is covered only if no courtesy shuttle is available)
- Membership fees
- Rental vehicles
- Room service of any type
*No cash advances will be applied to the student travel award
When to Apply
- For Airfare (at least 2 months in advance): If you are requesting assistance with airfare, please apply as soon as possible. This will allow ample time to book affordable airfare. Airfare will not be booked in advance if the trip is less than 3 weeks away.
- For all other requests (either 1 month before travel or apply immediately after travel for reimbursement). University policy states that expenses and receipts must be submitted within 10 days of travel.
The ORGS would like to thank you for participating and we welcome you to contact us anytime with questions, comments, or concerns.
Phone: (210) 805-3555 Email: email@example.com
You will find further instructions and file templates on our Internal Funding website.